Sunday, February 10, 2008

this temperance business

When I read Daharja's post I was interested in her reference to the Seven Heavenly Virtues. I was particularly taken by the idea of temperance - of self control, abstention and moderation. Kind of an old fashioned idea, temperance, but one in which I am becoming increasing interested. Temperance is what this whole reduced consuming business is about really.

It has also come home to me on another level - after an indulgent Christmas, I took a look at what I was eating (and drinking). A food diary was a very revealing tool - I wrote down what I ate and drank every day for three weeks without making any effort to modify my consumption. And then I had a good look at it. All I can say is no wonder I can do with losing a few pounds! I truly thought I was eating and drinking fairly moderately - however the evidence was definitely to the contrary. So I am now making an effort to consume less on the bodily front - and consuming more appropriate to my physical needs. Am also participating (albeit passively) in Feb Fast - no alcohol for February. Has been a bit of a challenge on occasion, but so far so good.

No comments: