Monday, April 16, 2007

shoe remediation

I am trying some shoe remediation. When I took a lot of stuff out of storage, including the now liberated furniture, I also happened across a whole bunch of shoes that I have not worn for a VERY long time. (This all came about due to a long distance relocation).

Some of the shoes had mould on them, and man do they stink. I threw out the badly affected ones and wiped the others that were worth salvaging with tea tea oil and warm water. Seems to have knocked off the few bits of mould, but the evil smell remains. Am now trying liberal applications of baking soda (it will be interesting to vacuum the suede boots!). Next plan of attack is white vinegar and water on the leather ones.

We will see - it has been quite a lot of effort but I really don't want to throw them away (outrageously, I think a couple of pairs were only worn once or twice).

And I have had them so long, happily they are now back in fashion, which is a definite plus.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I hate to say this but, once shoes smell of mould, they ALWAYS smell of mould! If you haven't missed them, you don't need them...say bye-bye.

Alana said...

Progress is being made - am living in hope. Tea tree oil made a huge difference and now have just wiped over with vinegar and water. Am beginning to think that a lot of it is the smell of the leather rather than the mould. Will let you know ...