Saturday, May 5, 2007

managing desire

I have noticed that being a compacter does not result in automatically not wanting new things - it helps, but I still see things I want to buy. Not buying things immediately has made me realise how transient the desire for things can be - what seems irrestible one day may generate only a flicker of interest a week later. Not giving in to instant gratification has a really positive effect.

When I do think I really must have something, I write it down. I have a list of 'highly desirable items' that I may buy one day. Whenever I add something to the list I see something else there that I figure I really don't want all that much any more. Knowing that I can purchase these things should I really want to (at a date to be specified) stops me feeling deprived.

It has been over three months and I am pretty pleased with how I am going - and astonished at how much I used to buy. And I was never an enthusiastic shopper ...

1 comment:

Alison Peters said...

I start to want things the minute I go into a shopping centre (clothes usually). Local strip shopping areas don't seem to be so bad because the products are at a distance. In centres you are surrounded by stuff on all sides.

My solution is that I don't go to shopping centres much at all. I still go to local shopping areas and grocery stores that stand alone with out the other stores surrounding them.