Thursday, September 13, 2007

now we're getting personal

Ok - it's time to face the undie issue. Knickers. I noticed the other day that my underwear is looking decidely past its best, which is not a suprise given it is well past the first flush of youth. And I confess, there is a fair amount of man made materials in my 'collection'. So it may last for years without wearing out, but just look shabbier and shabbier. Which is not a good look should I ever suffer the misfortune of being run over by a bus or find myself in other knicker revealing environments (ok, this would be the changing room at the gym - my life is not that exciting).

What to do? I don't need new underwear as what I have is functional, but there is going to come a point in the foreseeable future when the shabby nature of my intimate apparel is just not going to make me feel good.

How long should we hang on to our undies? Buy them at 20 and have them last the distance with you? I am sure it is probably technically possible but it sure is not an attractive thought.

What to do?

4 comments:

From the lion's mouth said...

An issue of either Earth Garden or Grass Roots once suggested making new undies out of old t-shirts.

There's a website with a pattern here if you're feeling crafty!

Minni Mum said...

I'e always hated anything other than natural fibres in underwear so once things start to get a bit shabby looking, they are relegated to the cleaning rags pile and I buy new ones. Next lot will be organic cotton now that they are more readily available.

I'm guessing however, that the smalls you are talking about are inappropriate for use in cleaning, LOL? I wouldn't worry too much about what you have now, just concentrate on buying biodegradeable natural fibres in future that can be composted.

Zanzan said...

Personally, I classify my underwear as perishable.

My view is, just don't buy packaged ones.

Michelle said...

LOL I love this post :)
Buy cotton ones then compost them when they are past their best before date????
I hate shabby undies and do seem to buy new ones every 2 years or so but never ones in packaging. I have found that more expensive doesn't always equal better quality either.