Saturday, September 8, 2007

hanky panky

This winter has seen the return of the hanky. I have reverted from user of tissues to user of handkerchiefs. And I must say I am not enjoying it much.

Tissues are a much more agreeable option than hankies - they come in small packs, you use them once and then you dispose of them. Hankies on the other hand can only be described as deeply unattractive after the first use - and quite frankly they don't get any better. Dragging a crumpled up, nasty looking hanky out of my bag to blow my nose on does not cheer me up. And if I was not to use a hanky and not to buy tissues - then the only avenue left is toilet paper. And that is even worse (although I must say I have been reduced to this on a couple of occasions).

But I guess everything has its price, and using hankies which are washed and last for many years has got to be the best solution, unless anyone has any better ideas. (And please don't suggest wiping my nose on my sleeve - happy to say I gave that up a very long time ago).

Thankfully spring is here and I am hoping that the need for hankies will be over soon. Till next winter anyway.

4 comments:

From the lion's mouth said...

I've been thinking of making a little tiny bag to keep my hanky in, so I don't have to fish it out of the bottom of my handbag, which I'll admit gets kinda gross.

That's what they used to do in the old days - check out the vintage one here

Check out this gorgeous arts and crafts one - I wish I could embroider that well!

AMCSviatko said...

I do hope you're using man sized hankies and not those pathetic squares sold for "ladies".

If so, when you iron them fold in half then half again until you have a long rectangle, then fold in half the opposite direction then again to form a square.

When you go to blow your nore, unfold until you have half a hanky (still with me?) and blow at the top. Fold back up and place back in your bag. This keeps the snot inside and your bag clean.

Next time you blow, unfold and blow just below the last "blow". In this way you can blow your nose on clean hanky 6-8 times and still have a nice clean outside.

Thus endith my use-of-a-hanky lesson :-)

Alana said...

ok - I am (was?) using feeble little girly hankies. Will test out my hanky origami and see how I go.

Am not sure re the hanky bag in the bag concept - I can barely find things in there already ...

Jennifer said...

I am a long-time hanky user and I use the dinky "ladies" ones but I always carry two or three with me. And I agree wholeheartedly with the hanky origami which allows you to keep the yuck under control!

J.