Saturday, October 13, 2007

alignment

A few weeks ago I was reading a 'women's magazine' in a cafe which had an article on how to reduce your consumption and do your best for the planet. It had a few pieces of vaguely worthwhile advice e.g. 'fly less' and was about as shallow as you would expect in a publication of that sort.

The irony of an article on how we can help save the planet featuring in a magazine dedicated to consumerism - mainly via the fashion industry - and bulging full of ads exhorting us all to buy more stuff was not lost on me.

I concede that a fluffy fashion magazine is not where you are likely to find either intellectual fodder or a strong political message, but still ... The actions sure did not match the words.

Guess it is the same with all of us - no point wringing our hands about climate change and all the rest of it without changing our behaviours. It's the cause and effect thing.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Rather amusing...I mean, they can't exactly say:

"Start by not buying this magazine any more.

And don't buy any of the useless crap in it."

Can they?

Can they?

Oh, I *wish*!

Alana said...

It's like all those books on consuming less/using less resources and all that stuff - it is not quite right somehow (ie having to buy a book a book about it). But I guess they figure there is more money to be made that way than out of cyberspace. Or maybe I am being uncharitable - maybe it is about getting the message to a bigger audience. But whichever way I look at it, it just does not seem to stack up somehow.