Tuesday, October 30, 2007

the working spending thing

I think that part of the reason we buy things is to make ourselves feel better about working - a sort of reward for all the hard yards put in day in day out ...

This seems to be part of my desire to buy stuff - 'I deserve it' seems to be part of the rationale - and a desire to have some fun with money rather than just saving it and paying the mortgage, which really is not that much fun really. (Or have I missed something?)

There is a distinct lack of logic about all of this, but there you go.

3 comments:

Minni Mum said...

I think that is a pretty typical of most people - what's the point of working if you can't enjoy the money/ rewards? It was certainly typical of myself, my husband and is still typical of most of our friends anyway.

What has changed for me, is that I no longer find any pleasure in buying *stuff*; shopping is a bore (the parking, the crowds, the endless window signs exhorting us to buy MORE or we'll never be happy), unless it's the local Farmer's Markets where I can indulge in wonderful sights and smells. I know search out experiences as my rewards, not *things*.

Now I have an Excel spreadsheet set up to calculate the remaining time left on the home loan, so every time I pay off extra I can see how many weeks/ months I've shortened the loan by, and boy that's motivating!

Alana said...

Your spreadsheet is a brilliant idea - may well give me the motivation I need. Would sexy it up no end and give a more tangible sense of the benefit.

From the lion's mouth said...

I want a spreadsheet! I have no idea how to set it up so it would automatically do that though... my maths skills are fairly basic!