Saturday, October 6, 2007

the book issue

I thought when I began this exercise that the biggest challenge I would face was on the book front. I am an inveterate book buyer and reader - always have been, always will be. To the point that I have run out of places to put the darned things.

So - several things have happened.

1. I have rediscovered the joy of the library. I was going before I started this Compact gig, but now I am a library consumer big time. Tend to get a bit carried away with the number of books I can actually read at any one time, but hey - life's a challenge! And I can take them back and they don't hang around my house forever and a day. (Yes, I know the logical response here is - why don't you give some of your books away? I am trying - and succeeding on a minor scale - but find it a bit like cutting off a limb... Some things are a work in progress).

2. And I now buy my books from Op Shops. Does this lead to a completely different reading experience or what! Books I would never have bought, books I read years ago, books no longer in fashion ... It's great! And somehow I find it easier to part with the Op Shop books, so I am quite living on the verandah yet.

A win all round. It's working for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of bookcrossing? It could be a good way of passing on some of those books you have finished with. Check out their website at www.bookcrossing.com I have caught 2 books this way, they weren't all that bad either, there is no way i would have chosen them if going to a library or op shop though. Read and then Release.