Tuesday, November 13, 2007

maybe a girl should dress like a bloke

I hold the fashion industry accountable for a lot of this crazy consuming in this crazy consumeristic world. The fashion churn is huge, and it is easy to fall prey to the constant demand for change.

I was going through my wardrobe the other day, throwing things out (for recycling). And I realised what an enormous number of clothes I seem to own. Compared to the very small volume of clothing that the Object of my Affections owns, the difference is exponential.

It is just as well that he has hardly any, because otherwise mine would not fit in the wardrobe ... but it did make me think that if women dressed more like men (well, the sort that don't buy a lot of clothes) then consumption globally would drop dramatically.

Mind you, the world might not be so interesting to look at ...

1 comment:

AMCSviatko said...

I've been eyeing up what's in my wardrobe with the change of season and the fact I've just started sorting out clothing for a holiday I'm heading off on next Friday.

And I remembered a post I made about 18 months ago just before I headed off on holiday (http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2006/05/seven-sleeps-to-go.html) where I discussed the fact I seem to wear the same clothes over and over and over when I'm travelling.

And it was interesting that I was pulling out either the exact same clothes as last time (or the updated replacement.) I'm thinking about doing a major cull of my wardrobe but am scared I'll suddenly decide next year that I need to wear that "perfect" grey tweed skirt that I didn't wear this year and have since gotten rid of... and will have to buy a replacement for it.