Monday, December 3, 2007

Xmas trials

I suspected Xmas was going to prove a trial - and I think it is about to be so. I am not given to Christmas extravaganzas, but still, it is customary to give a gift, and I confess that despite my occasionally scroogish disposition I do rather enjoy it.

So - a third world goat coming up for the in-laws - heaven knows they don't need anything. And my fabulous friend Susan will (hopefully) get something from an antique shop. And then there will be movie gold passes - and ... damned if I know what. Racking my feeble brain for something my nearests and dearests will appreciate that is not consumer crap. Much as I would like to give everyone an Oxfam goat for the sake of convenience - suspect it would not be quite the thing.

The object of my affections happily is not into stuff (not much anyway) and has declared he wants nothing for Christmas - and that could be just what he gets at this rate.

All/any brilliant ideas welcome.

In the meantime, in between wringing my hands in agonies of Xmas present dilemmas, I shall be prancing out to the odd party in one of my two fabulous second hand frocks. It ain't all bad. And here is a boast - one of said fabulous party frocks is a rather splendid Ralph Lauren number - only worn a couple of times I reckon. Got to be happy with that.

And this is my yuletide wish - no more stuff for me for Xmas!

6 comments:

Minni Mum said...

Do you have a market nearby? If you don't cook/ don't have time to cook, you could perhaps make up food hampers out of homemade goodies like jams and cookies?

Elsie said...

Some old faves:

- Boxes of baked goods

- Recycle old curtains (if sewing’s your thing) into shopping bags/aprons

- Save vegetable and flower seeds and bag (perhaps can be combined with a gardening apron, see above?

Anonymous said...

Why not give the object of your affection a book of vouchers made on your PC?
One for a massage, another for washing his car, etc etc

From the lion's mouth said...

Locally-produced sparkling wine is always a good one - consumable, delicious etc.

How about Lush solid products (massage bars, shampoos, bubble bath etc) - minimum packaging and they're pretty good.

I seriously considered getting everyone I know a CFL globe, but decided they'd probably all hate me if I did. My brother is getting trapeze lessons with the circus school as his 30th birthday present, lots of people are getting moisturiser made by one of my friends (all natural) and some people may get home made foodstuffs.

Persnickety said...

Handmade stuff - an old gourmet magazine once suggested baking brownies, and giving the recipient both the baking tray and a copy of the recipe along with the baked goods. I realise that it means purchasing the baking tray- but that is something that is useful/pratical/necessary? Could be done with muffins, or any other foodstuffs. It does depend on the giftees though.

Alana said...

You people are brilliant - thanks!