Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Clothes just aren't built to last any more

Clothes just aren't built to last any more.

I have come to this conclusion after years of trying to 'build' a wardrobe.

I've done all the right things, I swear. I've looked after my clothes. 'Invested' in 'classic' pieces that were meant to become the 'backbone' of my wardrobe. Classic cut jeans and denim jackets. Good quality jackets and blazers that were supposed to last forever. Shirts that were well-cut. Good quality boots. Top quality underwear.

None of it seems to last more than five years. Buttons and fasteners break. Seams rip. Fabrics tear. And I am convinced that the factory made 'Made In China' label that you see on nearly everything these days should really come with a codicil: "Poor Quality Garment: Destined for the dump in 2 years flat.

I compare my modern clothing to the items I have found in Op Shops that were made here in Australia (and elsewhere) pre-1970s. A few funky shirts that would make Austin Powers swoon. Some really old miniskirts that may even be Mary Quant originals from the 1960s.

The difference in quality is astonishing. Even the cheapest of my old shirts (made from 100% polyester!) are double-stitched, and the seams have generous allowances. Darts are properly finished, and patterns match up beautifully.

In short, they're well-made, and made to last. And the proof is in the pudding, because here am I, in 2007, 30+ years on, still wearing these great clothes. One of my funky 70s shirts is now in its fourth season since I've had it, and is wearing as well as the first day I got it. Still great, still comfortable, still a favorite.

But the clothes I bought new in 2003 - they're long gone. Fallen apart. Made In China, in some sweatshop where a person almost certainly wasn't paid properly and had no interest or pride in their work. Who can blame them, making shirt number 500 for the day, all exactly the same?

So what is a frugal Greenie supposed to do?

Here are a few tips:

  • I start by buying what I can from Charity Shops, second-hand. The older the better. Clothing that is pre-1980s at the very least, because it was in the 1980s that the big shift to sweatshops happened, and the quality of clothing took a big shift down.

  • I also buy classic items that are less likely to date. Modern fashion, forget it. My wardrobe consists of classic cut jeans, classic jackets, classic shirts, skirts and dresses, and all the best quality I can afford.

  • I avoid the 'Made In China' label like the plague. No, I'm not racist. I simply know that when people are poorly paid, they have less interest in ensuring that the garments they produce are well-made. In short, they have less pride in their work, and that is reflected in the quality of the item. That's without even getting into a whole stack of human rights issues!

  • I buy men's clothing in preference to women's, when I can. Men's clothing is generally better made, better cut, and cheaper. The quality is better all round, and the fabrics are usually of a heavier weight. Even the most petite woman can save herself some serious money by buying men's socks, men's handkerchiefs, and boy's t-shirts.

  • I avoid factory-made garments as a rule, whenever possible. Handmade clothing is so much better. Charity Shops have a surprising number of hand made clothes, especially dresses. They are easily spotted by the lack of tags, individual styling, and great fit.

  • Lastly, as part of my 'No More Stuff' vow, whenever I buy something that is new to me (and usually it is secondhand), I remove an old item from my wardrobe. That way, I don't build up the number of clothes I have, and my 'stuff' doesn't get out of hand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I completely agree with your "Made in China" thoughts. I'm sure their sweatshop conditions don't help them to produce a quality garment, but they are not being paid to produce quality. They are there to churn out garments that look ok for the season they come out in, but next season, another trend comes in, and the previous fashion is out...therefore no need for quality as it just goes on the scrap-heap. So the problem is trying to find those classic pieces, made well.

Hen House said...

I have just finished cleaning out my wardrobe so that I can pick up some more winter woolies at the Op Shop tomorrow. I am a great fan of the Op Shop and look there first before I even consider buying anything new. I have a couple of favourites that I frequent, I even manage to pick up some non perishable groceries there like shampoo, conditioner, soap powder, toilet roll and tissues.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure if I completely agree with your "Made in China" thoughts. I'm sure their sweatshop conditions don't help them to produce a quality garment, but they are not being paid to produce quality. They are there to churn out garments that look ok for the season they come out in, but next season, another trend comes in,"

thats exactly a part of the capitalist conspiracy new " trends" each season make it ok for them to produce clothes of inferior clothes cheapy within china and massivly mark up the prices for sale in western retail stores

i only being 20 remember the days still when you could find a few items in even chain stores that said " made in australia" unfortunaely thats near impossible now

Anonymous said...

I am literally so mad about buying $30 clothes for them to fall apart in the wash without me ever having the chance to wear them. You said they fall apart after two years, mine have fallen apart on me soo many times after just one wear. Being someone who isn't very wealth, the clothes I buy I plan to wear for a long time but you can't do that anymore. I think people should seriously do something about this because it's ridiculous.