Sunday, June 10, 2007

cured at last?

Today being a public holiday, my beloved and I went out. For a drive. Not something we generally do. We went to a small country town with the biggest antique shop I have ever seen. I love old stuff - I love junk - I love antiques. And this place was bulging full of it. And I looked at it, and admired it, and considered buying a couple of things, and then thought 'I don't think I will use it.' I didn't buy anything - and I am fairly astonished. There I was in a vast haven of guilt free shopping, and I didn't want to buy anything. I am reeling from shock.

However, I have decided that I do need to buy some new clothes for work. A new suit is required. So I shall buy one. I will buy what I need and no more.

2 comments:

Lee said...

It's a weird feeling, isn't it? Being cured and all. I'm in the same boat - and I'm an ex-shopaholic! But these days I'm the sort of person who takes lists when I go to the supermarket or shops if I need anything, and I come away with exactly what was on the list, and nothing more. Scary!

I think what it shows you is that you are now in control of your life. Youre now thinking about what you need, instead of being a slave to whims and advertising. That's a huge change. And I bet the advertisers and salespeople hate it! hehe.

But if you're anything like me, you'll also have lapses. Not big ones, but a few small ones here and there. No cue is ever perfect - you still have the bugs in your system.

But yes, your cure is definitely begun. Something to celebrate! :-)

Anonymous said...

Cool! i have only just stumbled upon 'the compact' and i never really noticed how much i actually consume before. i thought that launching full into a no more stuff stance was a little too extreme for myself so i have vowed to try and cut down on the stuff that i buy and really think about why i am buying it.

The work clothes thing came up the other day but i have a work shirt provided by the company for events, and i am in the process now of trying to convince my new manager that we should look at a work uniform. All the guys kinda have one but the office girls don't. So i was thinking if i could convince them to implement a work uniform then that would reduce the amount of work clothes that i would have to buy. Now i just have to work on fun clothes.