Tuesday, June 26, 2007

does second hand perpetuate a problem?

I went to the preloved clothing sale on Saturday and bought a new handbag, a couple of tops, a pair of shoes and a watch. All second hand, in very good condition and at bargain prices. I guess the desire to spend some money had to come out somewhere/somehow. It got me thinking about this whole second hand thing - yes, in buying second hand we are not creating a new market for goods, energy is not expended in making new stuff, and we are reusing things. All good.

On the other hand, it gives free license to continue in consumer mode, which is not really a good thing and perpetuates the pursuit of the material. And in buying second hand stuff, are we salving other people's consciences so that they can happily go out and buy more?

There is something that is not really stacking up for me here - but am not quite sure what it is.

4 comments:

From the lion's mouth said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying something you *need* second-hand, but you are creating a market for whatever it is second-hand, which offsets the cost of buying it new for the person who buys it new.

So I guess in that way you're contributing to someone buying it new - which I guess you need to consider when buying it.

Alison Peters said...

I think this is a very interesting point Alana, one I've often considered.

Compacting has a number of priorities, but I think the environmental effects of our habits are at the core- so second hand is ok. It would be nice to be such a purist that we were never tempted beyond absolute need, but humans through the centuries have always valued and coveted beyond need- well those of us lucky enough to be born where food, safety, shelter and education are taken care of.

Beauty, stuff, objects- we come from a long line of covetous beings. Do we need to completely deny our human nature to save the planet? Gosh, what a daily struggle that would be.

I sometimes find it difficult to remember my order of priorities and often feel vaguely guilty no matter what I do. Guilt is bad- even Catholics are downplaying it nowadays! So should we I reckon.

I'm sticking to reducing impact. Having done that I don't want to agonise too much about whether too much secondhand stuff is a bad thing. Secondhand clutter in my home isn't great, but it affects only me (and my family) so I allow myself to enjoy the thrill of a secondhand find. Life is too short.

Rhonda Jean said...

I think if you need something then secondhand is the best way to go.
I'm over shopping and have been for a few years. It was surprisingly easy to just stop. However, I'm almost 60 and have everything I want and need. I sometimes wonder if it would be so black and white for me if I were younger.

You've done well in that you've given a second life to someone else's waste. Now you need to think about whether you want to take that to the next level.

Good luck with you decision. I enjoy your blog.

hervor the howler said...

I agree, buying second hand is not really dealing with the real problem - which is rampant consumerism.

Rhoda, you are right, it is not so black and white when you are young. We are 30-ish now and have lived very frugally. ATM we are struggling to justify making the significant purchases that we have gone so long without.