Friday, July 20, 2007

a domestic crisis of significant proportions

I regret to say I have been having a domestic crisis, having discovered some sort of wildlife (small mite-type bugs) in my wardrobe. I have hauled out every item from the wardrobe and am having to wash or dryclean all of the clothes - and I mean ALL of the clothes (the bugs are only visible on a few, but ...). Horrible. Tedious. Time consuming and all round vexing.

I realise that my bad habits are coming back to haunt me. I have not cleared out my wardrobe for a very long time - despite good intentions it was just too much of a chore and a bore. So now there is a large number of clothes to be dealt with. And I can't even give stuff away until it is cleaned. What a pain.

This is not joyous in the heart of winter in Melbourne where it seems to be raining unnaturally frequently. And consequently the washing machine has been getting a good workout, as has the dryer (although I have been drying as much as I can on the rack over the heating vent or outside). Have been trying to do the right thing and now I am hogging water and power like there is no tomorrow. And using insect spray. Great!

Not happy at all, but can't help but think I have been the author of my own misfortune. Which does of course make it all the more irritating.

And am now having to ask myself searching questions like: How many pashminas does one woman need? Answer: Not nearly as many as I have.

So, a disagreeable lesson has been learnt and Operation Wardrobe continues. Any advice will be favourably received.

1 comment:

Lis said...

Very unfortunate. It might be a bit late but could you try freezing some of the things that are difficult to wash, this might help to kill the bugs. Unfortunately you might need to recycle some plastic bags to freeze things in...good luck with it all. Like reading your blog btw! :)