Sunday, July 1, 2007

the plastic bag issue

Like most of us, I have been conscious of the plastic bag issue for a long time now, and try never to go shopping without a number of green bags. All good. Until I realised that I was still putting fruit and vegetables into the plastic bags that go into the green bag ... Doh! So I stopped, and they now all roll around in the shopping basket until I get to the checkout. (I would like to say this was at the very beginning of my compacting journey, just in case you are thinking I am a complete dunce!)

This morning I was thinking about this, and it occurred to me that the main reason all the shops have those rolls of plastic bags for us to put our fruit and veg in is because it makes it quicker for them to process produce through the till.

Yes, there is some convenience to the customer, and it makes it a bit hard if you are buying small items (beans etc) without a bag to put them in. But the main benefit is for the supermarket.

Well, if it takes an extra minute for them to add up my bill, then so be it. We will all have to live it.

4 comments:

Minni Mum said...

Hi Alana, have you tried making your own bags out of organza? Very simple to make, and weigh no more than plastic, but are resusable, and it stops the small stuff rolling around (and the checkout chicks glaring at you, LOL). I wish I could find the pattern link for you, I'll be back if I can locate it. Cheers, Julie.

Sarah said...

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/ecobagsreg-reusable-cotton-mesh-produce-bags-p-689.html

Alana said...

Organza bags are a brilliant idea - but I don't sew. Ever. I like the idea though and will see if I can adapt it in any way. Will also check out the link to the cotton mesh produce bags. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Or your own (2nd hand) plastic bags. like what bread and oats and things come in.