Sunday, July 8, 2007

hope in a jar?

In my recent efforts to use up the contents of the bathroom cupboard, I have been using an expensive(ish) moisturiser.
Issue 1 was the fact that I didn't realise it was there.
Issue 2 was it had cost in the vicinity of $50 - expensive in my books.
Issue 3 was the promises about how much younger and more fabulous it would make me look ...

Well, I used the jar up. Outrageously it didn't last four weeks - and guess what? I look exactly the same. Well, maybe four weeks older.

What was I thinking? When I bought it, did I honestly think it would make the slightest bit of difference? Probably not - well certainly no more than any other moisturiser - cheaper or more expensive. And given that I believed then, as I do now, that what you put on the inside of your body is more important that what you slap on the outside, well - I do have to wonder.

I think I was consciously deluded - which has got to be more reprehensible than being generally deluded because I knew I was being suckered. I knew it was a load of bull and yet I fell for it anyway.

It ain't always easy, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Bikini By Xmas said...

I have gone my entire life (I'm 40) without using a regular beauty regime (I used Body Shop occassionally before they went really bad) and the truth is, I look at least 10 years younger than my friends who've used everything under the sun. Twice last year I was asked for ID entering a DAYLIGHT concert while those around me weren't, and the people at work thought I was turning 30 this year, not 40.

The trick is NOT to put those poisionous chemicals on your face and stay out of the sun.