Friday, July 27, 2007

on the nose?

In the spirit of non consuming I have been using one of those rock crystal deodorants for a few weeks. Luckily it was found lurking in the back of the bathroom cupboard, so I didn't have to buy one.

But now the question is: does it work? I am beginning to have my doubts. It does not stop sweating, which is a good thing as far as I can tell, given that is what bodies are meant to do. The issue is whether it stops the whiff factor - this is always very hard to deduce oneself, and it is not the sort of thing I would ask a casual acquaintance - and am not sure if I want to ask my friends.

And I KNOW I won't get a straight answer out of the object of my affections - he likes to play with my mind with these sorts of things.

I am not feeling bold in deodorant world - am thinking I may have to go back to more conventional means of keeping on the side of social acceptability. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Maisy said...

I stopped using one of these crystal sticks for this very reason.

I think it worked in winter, but I was never really sure. In the humid summer of northern Australia, I reverted to chemicals!

Ali

Persnickety said...

I have always wondered about those. What about the Lush deoderant things? similar natural idea, but maybe work a little differently- although it does mean buying something. I tend to view their stuff as less problematic for things like shampoo and face wash, because at least no plastic packaging. (although it does encourage me to buy...)

Alana said...

Update: the crystal has been fully renounced (except for weekends) and I have retreated to commercial products. And now I don't have to wonder any more ...

Anonymous said...

I use white vinegar in a spray bottle which works very well even in summer,
it has a couple of advantages no new purchase most people have vinegar and a second hand spray bottle, if you use vinegar for cleaning you can use the same spray bottle to spray the vinegar for cleaning, and no chemicals

I find it works best if you spray it on then rub it in with your hand, I do not recommend this to people that are intolerant to vinegar as a person I know is

noimpactman uses bicarb of soda for the same purpose

Bikini By Xmas said...

I have been using one for years, only to discover recently that most (if not all) have a form of aluminium in them (they get around this by saying "contains no harmful" aluminium).

I have tried the following things very successfully

1. Lavender essential oil, dabbed directly into the armpit. It's cheap, anti-bacterial, and safe. Doesn't stop sweating

2. Placed 2 panty-liners into the armits of a jacket. Absorbed sweat, no-one noticed.

3. Cornstarch powder. Absorbs sweat, don't use too much

4. Talc - very bad as it is know to cause ovarian cancer. I'd avoid it, but you can use the Baby Powder that is just cornstarch.

5. Tea Tree Oil - again, very good in reducing odour, not so good at sweat absorbtion.