Tuesday, July 10, 2007

when is it time to say goodbye?

I am beginning to accept that a parting of the ways is inevitable for me and my trusty boots. After having worn them religiously for 18 months or so, they are starting to give up the ghost. I got them re-heeled a couple of months ago and was very pleased with that. Now I am getting part of the soles replaced. And I know that in a couple of months time something else will have worn out.

When do I decide that enough is enough and let them go gracefully to boot heaven? Or do I keep on trying to patch them together, only managing to extend their life an extra few months at a time?

Feels a bit like deciding to have a trusty old pet put down (all right, that is a gross exaggeration, but you get the picture).

In the meantime I have bought some more time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be livid if a pair of shoes lasted only 18 months, especially WITH resoling/reheeling. I have found that if I buy quality shoes and look after them, they last for years. I also think that if you forget about what is trendy and buy what you really like - you don't need/want to buy new shoes every season and you want to wear the shoes you love for years and years.

Alana said...

Happy to report all is good after the partial resole. They have had a pretty good flogging - I wear them at least 4 days a week, and would like to continue to do so for some time.

Unknown said...

Since I walk a fair distance every day I try and wear sneakers or thongs and take my work shoes with me.

In fact I do this more in summer so I tend to wear out a pair of things in a year but my shoes end up lasting.

Maisy said...

Ummm, would now be a good time to admit that my stylish little ankle boots (can be folded down, or left up) are at least 22 years old? And they still bring compliments!

They cost $70, which 22 years ago was worth a little more than now, but it still wasn't a week's wages or anything...

Ali