Saturday, March 31, 2007

holding out

Happy to say I got over my bout of stuff lust, and haven't bought anything. Am wondering now about how this will work for me in the long term - I am fairly confident in thinking that my attitude towards consumption has changed significantly over the past couple of months - but realistically there will be times when I do buy new shoes/clothes etc. I am beginning to think that part of the answer lies in 'considered consumption' - thinking carefully about whether I do really need it/why I am buying it etc. And the other part of the equation is buying stuff that is high quality and is going to last a long time - and that I am going to want to keep for a long time. Don't know if this is the answer, but it seems a start.

3 comments:

Donna said...

I see this exercise in the same light - learning how to recognise when you REALLY need to buy something new and then considering what you do buy.
I think the quality issue is very important. I think our lives will improve because we have less stuff. What we do have will be meaningful, good quality and hopefully beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I've been doing this for six weeks now. When I get "stuff lust" I head to my local charity shop with a list of what I want. I'm getting better at walking out of there empty-handed. It's not ideal because I'm still buying, but I'm not buying new. I figure it's a phase I'll have to go through. After all I'm trying to undo 30 years of conditioning. But I'm getting there.

Anonymous said...

Hi - my name's Nick Galvin. I'm a journalist with the Sydney Morning Herald. I'd love to get in contact with some of you (Sydney) compacters for background/a possible story.

Cheers

Nick

ngalvinATSYMBOLsmh.com.au