Monday, March 5, 2007

No umbrella

I love how being a compacter pushes me to do things differently.

I left work today and found myself standing in the lobby, staring at heavy sheets of rain. I didn't have an umbrella. I didn't want to get soaked. What to do?

I actually thought about stealing a brollie, reasoning that, after all, umbrellas are like lighters and pens, objects that belong to the commonwealth. I've bought dozens of umbrellas in my life, and where are they now? You have them. Give them back.

So anyway, I knew there was a shop round the corner with a stock of umbrellas. New umbrellas.

What I did was, I dashed from one covered section of sidewalk to the next. This meant going the long way from the office to the car, but I figured that this way, I'd stay dryish and wouldn't absolutely have to buy an umbrella.

I got damp, but not soaked. By the time I got close to the shop, the rain had lessened. And by the time I got close to the car, it had stopped completely.

Yay!

3 comments:

AC said...

Bless....what a top effort!

I've had the same umbrella for over a year now as I lost two favorites in different taxi's previously. I think I would have caved in in your situation, so well done!

Alison Peters said...

Go girl.

Ej Freckles said...

why don't you go to your local train station/large department store/movie theatre and tell them you left your umbrella on the train last week. Give a simple description - like black and small, and see what they come up with! People leave umbrellas behind all the time, and it seems a shame to let them sit around in piles at lost property depots.