Sunday, March 4, 2007

mending and fixing

It's just uncanny that Alana was talking about society being disposable and throwing things away. I have just spent the weekend going through the three huge plastic tubs of old clothing that I have getting things out that I've not work for a few years and seeing what can be salvaged and worn this year. I've managed not to go near the clothing shops and buy anything since 03rd January. It's been three months and is an absolute record for me, but I too am feeling the 'need' for a lovely pair of winter boots even though it's a stinking 32 degrees here in Sydney with about 150% humidity!

In my rummaging around, I managed to find a lovely suit I've not worn for two years missing a few buttons, and a top that I bought 5 years ago that I've worn to work today. The girls in the office all seem to like it. I also found a great jacket with the hem out and a denim skirt I do something with. So my project for this week is to replace buttons and sew up the hem of my jacked and fix the skirt up. Luckily I have a bit of a mending kit and a button jar happening...not too sure how flash my sewing skills are, but I'll do my best.

5 comments:

shinyruby2 said...

I've been spotting all the new season boots coming in and have got that urge to buy up some as well! eep!

Speaking of old clothes.. My manager at work is the queen of op shops - she has that great eye for things and is always coming back from a lunch break with great new 2nd hand clothes that just need a mend or a button here and there. Well done for finding new/old clothes again! :)

Alana said...

I reckon if you take clothes that need fixing to the drycleaners or one of those useful people who mend things for a small fee, then it doesn't count because it's a service. I feel better already - I hate even sewing on a button.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your site for awhile and thought I would comment on this topic. EVerytime I have to throw away some old clothes (worn out etc) I always, always cut off the buttons, zips or other useful fasteners, trims etc and add them to my collection. I suspect that it is a generational thing, my mother did it, my grandmother did it. I also save interesting fabric to use again to make stuff likes bags, purses etc.
I remember my Mum telling me that she used to get her sister's old flares and make overalls etc for my brother and I when we were babies! For my Mum it was for financial reasons and I just can't stand to throw away good buttons etc that i may be able to use again.
I also add all my old clothes to my rag bag, for dusting cleaning and for my hubby in the garage.
Thanks for the inspirational website and keep up the good work.
Cheers
Jodi

AC said...

Okay, so my sewing is a disaster, but it's been fun to sit there and make a conscious choice to try and repair something I once loved enough to purchase and wear. Very rewarding.

I will be taking the jacket for hemming to the nice local tailor to fix for me though - I just don't trust myself and I figure that I'm helping a local industry and using a service, just like Alana said.

I was interested to hear what Jodi was saying about using the fabric and bits of old clothes. My mother used to do the same thing! It's definitely a new generational thing to not utilise everything we buy and have disposable fashion.

Alison Peters said...

Just wanted to say that even though I am a terrible sewer... I find it impossible to sew straight... it doesn't seem to matter. So to those of you who think you can't sew, give it a go, you might surprise yourself

I've found that if you wade in slowly, you can fix or make great looking things. It works best when you use cheap or recycled fabric, cause then you know if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter so much and the fabric can be used for something else later.

I made an entire quilt for my son out of 4 cm strips of recycled fabric- old school uniforms, denim, remnants, old library bags, bandanas etc. I love it (he does too)


I'm thinking of tackling a king sized one next...

be bold, I say.