Thursday, March 8, 2007

Skin products again

I bought the moisturiser - Daintree - plant based apparently (the tinted one came in glass, the other one in a plastic tube - I did consider that at length, but decided to go with it). We will see. But after the purchase I was reading an article on the ACF's website about cosmetics which stated that a woman could absorb up to 2 kg of chemicals a year through toiletries and chemicals. Yikes - that is a truly disgusting thought.

And I suspect that most women are on autopilot when it comes to skin care products and cosmetics - it is just something that we do. Although I don't wear makeup (apart from lipstick - there are some things you just need in life), I truly hate to think of the volume of petrochemically derived moisturiser that I have slapped on my skin over the years. No more. Am beginning to think that if you wouldn't eat it, then maybe you shouldn't put it on your skin (and thus into your body). Almond oil is starting to look pretty good.

3 comments:

AC said...

Alana, that truly is a disgusting thought. I am running out of moisturiser AND body wash and am in a quandry over what to do to replace them. Let me know how Daintree goes....lucky for everyone else my soap is still happening for a few weeks yet.

WendyC said...

lipstick is the one cosmetic which you should use organic. Think of how much lipstick you swallow in a lifetime. I love Living Nature lipsticks!

Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to let you know that I solved my face scrub dilemma today. I ran out of face scrub a couple of months ago but today my skin really needed a good scrub.

So I mixed in a bowl about 2 tablespoons of rolled oats, a large glob of honey, a dash of hot water and some milk. (I think next time I could use about half) I used this to massage my face and the result was awesome. I havent even needed to moisturise tonight.

I did mix it and let it sit for an hour but next time I think I will use it straight away. I have a T Zone skin type but I think if you were oilier you could cut the honey out completely.

enjoy


Alison A (there are at least 2 of us posting on here)