Saturday, February 10, 2007

And it ain't even hard - so far ...

Another week of buying nothing except food. So far, so good. I withstood the ultimate temptation (for me) - went to a bookshop one lunchtime and just browsed. Bought nothing. Sadly, that might be a first.

Am trying to get my head around the book thing - despite being a major book consumer (and consequently book storer) for many years, I have finally figured out it is the experience of reading the book I want. I don't actually have to own the thing itself. Whoah - we have a revolution in thinking going on here. Whether I can move forward enough to liberate some of the books I already have will be another matter. Perhaps I could read them again and then set them free.

I like the idea of passing on stuff I don't use to others who may have a use for it. Think this will happen by degrees - the prospect of turning the house upside down to find things to chuck out is not especially appealing. Think I will take the eating an elephant approach - slowly and bit by bit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, books are my weakness too. I do love my bookcases (only 2) I am thinking that instead of keeping the book I might start downloading a copy of the cover from amazon.com and keeping a virtual library on my PC. I could add a book review too.

anny said...

I used to be an avid reader and still am. In past years I bought and kept books, thinking I would read them again, and I did. Then I looked at my bookshelves one day, crammed with books, two layers, and thought, this is ridiculous. Why am I keeping these books? I gave them all to a huge annual charity booksale. Since then I don't buy books. I borrow them from the library or friends. I have a very small collection of healing books that I do read again and again, until I don't and then I give them to friends. And if there's something I really want to read, I order it from the library and just wait till it's my turn. www.bookcrossing.com is a wonderful way to find and pass on books. And believe it or not, there are always interesting books at Lifeline for almost nothing.