Tuesday, February 27, 2007

end of the month and not a muffin in sight

Have lasted through February and not bought anything apart from groceries and a couple of newspapers (and have been paying strict attention to those). Have only desperately desired a book - which I couldn't find second hand but which my wonderful friend Naomi found (a used copy) and donated to the cause.

The only other challenge I have really faced is my sudden burning desire to make muffins. Not a big deal but I don't have a muffin tin. The only other alternative I can think of is those paper cases they make cup cakes in - but I would have to buy those. Suspect a second hand muffin tin hunt could be fairly time consuming. Perhaps I just need to turn my attention to something else ...

In the meantime I can report that I am making an effort to bring my lunch to work (alright - this is only the second day, so maybe I shouldn't get too excited) and am trying to avoid purchasing overly packaged food.

I have been surprised by how much time I have spent thinking about this and the connections which are so obvious but which I never really considered before (consumption, energy use, packaging, brands, the creation of desire, greed vs need etc)

And tomorrow is 1 March and I propose to buy nothing - except my lunch.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alana-
if you live in/near Brisbane I have an excess of muffin tins! (four, or maybe five? at last count) that were accidentally overpurchased a couple of years ago...

Alana said...

You must really like baking! I live in Melbourne but would be happy to pay you for the tin and postage if you can be bothered to package it up. Send me an email on compactoz.hotmail.com and we can negotiate.

Cheers
Alana

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good deal but for future/other people's reference, op shops always have loads of bakeware. Well the ones around here do anyway. (proper everything-but-the-kitchen-sink op shops, not those best-clothes ones)

cathriona said...

Hey - bake the mixture in an oven tray - cut into squares and call them 'muffits' - yum.
Cathriona

From the lion's mouth said...

I think I've also got a spare muffin tray - and I'm in Melbourne. I'll have to check, but if I have, and you want it, it's all yours.

Alana said...

Hey Rebekka, if you do - that would be great. Email me on compactoz.hotmail.com and we will hatch a plan.