Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Instant gratification

There is a book I want to read. I refrained from buying it at the end of January (which I thought was very noble of me, given that we hadn't started yet). I went to the library and looked for it - no joy. I looked on eBay - no joy. Can't buy it until end of Feb - so I need to wait.

Realised that we aren't used to waiting in this consumer society - generally I want it, I buy it (within reason). Now I am having to exercise patience. Which I am also not used to. Suspect it is not a bad thing. But of course, not being able to get it easily makes me want it all the more ...

In the meantime, if anyone has a copy of Alan Bennett's Writing Home they want to sell or lend, please let me know.

4 comments:

Zanzan said...

if you buy it used on Amazon, I don't think it breaks the compact.

Anonymous said...

This is an Australian blog? If you are in NSW, your library will get it from the NSW public library in Sydney for you.

Anonymous said...

If you can buy used books and still be faithful to the compact, look up www.abebooks.com. It is a global catalogue of used books and it is huge and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

There are a few copies of "Writing Home" on www.bookcrossing.com, one is in Canberra. You could ask the person if they would pass it on to you when they have finished? Those in bookcrossing are usually willing to give their books away or trade.
Eve