Sunday, February 4, 2007

Growing children

Hi everyone,

Good to be part of this - so thanks to Jacinta et al for organising this initiative.

My first blog entry ever and I have to say I've stumbled at the first hurdle. My kids went back to school this week (they're 7 and 8) and they've grown a lot - so I had to buy new shoes and new school clothes. Set me back about $80 each for the shoes and $60 for the clothes.

The shoes they wear until they fall apart (most kids do so it's hard to get them second hand). I didn't feel I could barter with the shoe shop but it is in the local shopping centre.

With the uniform - again I didn't have much choice - can't send them in clothes which are too small and covered with last years glue and paint stains PLUS on their report card they have a 'shows pride in school uniform section'. The clothes are only sold through the uniform shop and profits at least go back to the school. There were no second hand clothes the right size or in a reasonable condition.

Apart from this - we're just eating loads!!

As an aside I find that a lot of my money goes on what I would call 'services' rather than goods ie. public transport, swimming lessons, school book and school activity fees (kids go to the local public school) and after school care so I can work.

One thing we have done this weekend is to give a reasonably nice bike away to another family. My partner won one in a raffle late last year and he cycles to work each day in the city. So the 'old' bike was just sitting under the house. We've agreed to do a few contra deals in Feb with this family who were in the process of getting a brand new adult bike.

That's it from me. A suit purchase is looming so I'll have to see how I get on with that!

Good luck everyone - it will be good to read some of your experiences too.

SallyAnn

1 comment:

Lee said...

I've been quite lucky finding shoes at Savers for my young son. Sure, he's only 2 (size 8 shoes though!) and style doesn't matter so much, but if you have a look in the off-seasons (e.g. hunt for winter shoes at the end of winter for the following year etc.) you can get very lucky.

We actually do it because, being vegan, we're not happy buying leather, but to find quality non-leather shoes for young kids is really difficult. So we buy secondhand leather instead, which is a halfway option that we're okay with.

His last few pairs of shoes - enough to see the summer out with - have cost an average of $5 a pair, and all have been in as-new condition. Secondhand rocks!

In short, you may not get lucky, but then again, you may. I try Savers and other secondhand places first, then if I have no luck and I really need an item I go to the shops and get it new instead.