Friday, February 9, 2007

the English Connection

Hi all

Having moved over to the UK for 12 months the idea of buying lots of things to set up home was not a good thought. but then, in the true spirit of a 'shopping sabbatical', I have become a frequent visitor to the op-shop. I have managed to get warm jackets, jumpers etc for all the family and even some toys with my ozi dollar going to charity rather than some corporation. Another great thing was when I arrived i sent an e-mail at work asking for anything people want to pass on to a poor australian. What could have been an expensive exercise (both financially and to the earths resources), we have managed to make a home out of begged, borrowed and ... well not quiet stolen... things.

As we could only bring 1 suit case of things over for a year it made you consider what was really needed. It realy gives you a chance to reflect on how much stuff we have but dont really need, and those things that we think you cant live without - surprise surprise - you can!.

my next challenge is to see how much food I can buy from the local village and farm gates rather than supermarket.

James

ps: its bloody cold here!

1 comment:

mm said...

Can you buy newspapers being a compacter? I'm interested as Maggie Alderson's column is what drew my attention to compacters.
Also if leavig a lighter footstep on the planet is what we desire,how does internet use e.g. bloogging fit in with that philosophy?