Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Trying to break the habits of a lifetime

SOOO pleased to have found the Sydney Compact! My husband and I have
been trying our best to compact for over 6 weeks now since we saw the
article in the SMH earlier in the year which is stuck up on our fridge.
Basically our tiny unit was just becoming overwhelmed with 'stuff' and
we were sick of just frittering away our money on nonessential things
we really didn't need, nor made us happy.

In that time we have joined the library and discovered a whole new
world of DVDs, magazines and books, he rides to work on a (previously
unusable) bike that we fixed up, and I walk. We've also managed to save
hundreds of dollars in just a short time as a result. Not really our
aim, but a great reward for our efforts I guess.
>
I have caved in a few times since we started in buying presents for
friends birthdays, a new book that I HAD to have to compete a set and a
new pair or slippers (I did wear the previous pair until they were
rags!). Hubby funnily enough has bought nothing (unless you count
beer???).

I was a relentless consumer in the past and what I am finding it
difficult to deal with is the fact that I adore fashion, books and
beautiful things. However recent trips to Cambodia and South Africa
pretty much changed my perspective on life and what I need, so I am
hoping that compacting will take me that one step further....

3 comments:

Alison Peters said...

Enough

If you want another few hundred million reasons for reducing consumption visit:

http://www.enough.org.uk/

It highlights the effect that over consumption in the developed world has on the under developed world.
It also questions the wisdom of helping those countries develop along exactly the same environmentally and socially detrimental paths as we have.
Alison

PQR said...

Hi,

what was the title of the SMH article? I'd like to read that myself.

Amy

Unknown said...

It is hard to stop (consuming)...i haven't managed it yet - you guys are all amazing. Been reading the blog and i have put my credit card in a hidden place so i've stopped trying to "earn reward points", started reading the paper online, i think we need a compost bin though, we used to live in an appartment with a garbage disposal but moved into a semi-detached with a large section. I'm amazed at how much food i am putting in the bin...you don't seem to notice it when it goes down the drain (with buckets of nice drinking water). Going to try and do this in little steps.