Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Food wastage

Not buying anything except food has heightened my awareness of how much food we waste. Have realised how much food we buy in our house that gets thrown out. Although it won't feed the starving children in Africa, it has all used water and energy to be grown and transported. To be bought by me and then to sit in my fridge before it gets thrown out as not fit for human consumption... At that stage it gets fed to the worm farm. Strikes me this is not the way that it should be.

4 comments:

Zanzan said...

I was thinking about this just the other day.

I live alone but still throw food out every now and then.

The problem is having so many choices: I'll buy food for the week, then life throws things my way and I end up going out for dinner.

Lee said...

I also read statistics in the Linda Cockburn book Living The Good Life that every calorie of food produced in Australia takes 10 calories to produce, because we're so inefficient and use so many fossil fuels to produce our foods. So we're throwing out a lot more even than it looks like at first glance. Scary stuff.

These days we buy a minimum of what we need, and have really cut down on the wastage. Once the summer is over I hope to plant some productive plants in our garden as well that will reduce our reliance on purchased foods further, if only by a tiny amount.

But what this all tells us is we really need to think before we buy.

shinyruby2 said...

ohh this is a big problem of mine - buying food and then watching it go off! ugh.

It takes a lot of organisation and committment - something I really need to pick up on.

thanks for the reminder :)

Zoe said...

We don't waste any food in our house because we are lucky enough to have two dogs who will eat anything! They get all the scraps and leftovers and will even eat things like lettuce and carrot.
I try and make a point of using stuff before it gets unfit to eat. Bananas are made into muffins, veges made into a frittata. Meat, bread and milk we buy in bulk and freeze so we only take out what we need.