Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cleaning stuff

I bought some 'cleaning vinegar' the other day. My new plan is to go down the vinegar and bicarb cleaning route - am not overly confident re results but it has to be a better way to go - ie buying less cleaning products, less packaging, less toxins, less energy used in the manufacture (I hope). According to the label, cleaning vinegar is made from sugar cane - hopefully it is using something that was a waste product. Am not sure how or if it will differ in effectiveness from normal old vinegar in the cleaning stakes. Tragically I am now beginning to wonder if I have been sucked in by labelling ... Has anyone used this stuff? Must dredge out my copy of 'Spotless' by Shannon Lush and get the heads up on how to make all this work.

We used to use carbolic soap in my student days to clean stuff - not even sure if you can still buy it. Anyone know?

5 comments:

PQR said...

Try "The Green Cleaner" by someone-I-forget-who.

Lots of neat bicarb/vinegar tips in that. It's a smaller, more succinct book, too.

Alison Peters said...

If you want to go further down the no chemical path, you could also try microfibres.

They clean with a squirt or two of water, are reusable and last for years. You just need to wipe the surface dry afterwards with a tea towel.

Not sure how environmentally friendly the manufacturing process is, but it saves buying both the chemicals and the sponges so as far as I know, it is still a good option

Alison

shinyruby2 said...

i'm a fan of the bicarb for cleaning.. and vinegar. not sure about the special labelling tho... all it takes is some elbow grease - let us know how you go!

:)

hervor the howler said...

Tea tree and eucalyptus oil are also great for cleaning.

Anonymous said...

I am a little concerned reading this page because the Vinegar + Bicarb Solution is very outdated... And

Vinegar + Bicarbonate = Sodium Acetate + Water = CARBON DIOXIDE!!

The Number one contributor to GLOBAL WARMING!!


Shannon Lush's book is a little outdated as she Recommends Bicarb and Vinegar in alot of her cleaning methods. Little does she know that mixing the chemicals together causes CARBON DIOXIDE.... The reaction or FIZZ that occurs when mixed is CARBON DIOXIDE!!...

People Need to be made aware this is not a Very GREEN CLEAN for the environment or ones health.

If you wish to find out more you may contact me or Enjo Australia and ask for a copy of there

"FOR YOU" Brochure!

But your readers have the right to know that this cleaning method is very outdated, and obviously Shannon Lush, has not scientifically tested nor researched her findings before producing this book!.

If i brought this book and then found out i was contributing to the environmental changes in my very own home, I would of been devasted as I attempt to use no products at all to clean my House, I use microfibre cloths, and if thats not possible I would research the products and look for the most natural product to use.

Please Tell Your Friends about the Vinegar and Bicarb Solution and Plese tell them not to use it!

MAID 2 ORDER
Cleaning Services