Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Using what you've got

Am beginning to realise that if you buy something - or have bought something - then you have a responsibility to use it all. I have recently started cutting tubes of stuff (toothpaste, whatever) in half so I can use the volume that gets left behind from normal squeezing. And tipping bottles of moisturiser or whatever upside down for a couple of hours so that I can get it all out. There is often a surprising amount left behind. I figure even if I only get an extra one or two applications out of it, it means that overall I will be consuming a smaller number of products.

The only issue is it makes me feel like I am poverty stricken - need to keep reminding myself that it is for the good of the planet rather than financial necessity.

2 comments:

Donna said...

When you start to think like this it really makes you look carefully at packaging design. For example, I look for wide necks on condiment jars and shampoo and moisturiser bottles which have flat lids so that you can stand them up-side down. No waiting for the last drip!

Helen said...

It's also like in Living the Good Life, which was referenced earlier. They used up all sorts of wierd and wonderful things (Linda's partner MADE himself thongs!). It also helps if you've grown up with this approach - my dad reuses tea bags and makes some bizarre herbal concoction from them all...