Sunday, February 18, 2007

Buying nothing at Westfield and marketing blitzes

I now have no reason whatsoever to enter Westfield's at Bondi Junction- or the hellmouth, as my architect friend calls it. I'm not buying anything new. And I'm not going there to shop for groceries.

Yet I was in there yesterday because a friend wanted to meet there for coffee. I met him in the food court. Taking the escalators from street level to food court level, I saw an electronic goods store, a Borders bookstore, a sports goods store, an outdoor wear store, a CD store and at least two cash machines. I also saw giant billboards featuring beautiful women selling clothes.

I heard somewhere last week that Americans see or hear a marketing message every seven seconds, on average. I imagine that it's probably the same rate, or close to it, for us.

I'm going to try and keep tabs on them, then guestimate how many messages I get per week. I don't have a TV, so it'll only be outdoor advertising, radio ads and ads on the net.

1 comment:

Helen said...

There's a book about all the marketing ploys they use - Affluenza by Clive Hamilton. Next on my reading list but looks at all the subconscious messaging we get inundated with every day. I'll let you know what to look out for (as soon as I finish David Suzuki's biography)