Saturday, February 10, 2007

Week 2 and doing well. However! This month I have a couple of conundrums. Firstly, it is my parents fiftieth wedding anniversary. The only way I can possibly see of getting out of buying new on this occasion is something from the antique store. But that means trying to find something like an Armani figurine, which would be double the price of any bought brand new! Not to forget also that brothers and sisters are also contributing. So on this occasion I think it has to be from a store.
Second, my nephew's tenth birthday. The parents may have been ok with antique but the ten year old nephew, who I might add is the youngest in our large family, tends to be somewhat spoilt and a computer freek. What to get him?? I usually try to buy presents that are environmental or educational (I'm a responsible aunty). But this makes it a bit hard now. Any suggestions??
Other than that, today I finally went to my local Trash and Treasure market, which I've never visited and clearly have been missing out! It was great! I bought a brandy bottle and glasses set - coloured glass (antique) and a desert bowl with four serving bowls. Just gorgeous. Did I need them? This is yet to be determined...

Good luck for the next week...

3 comments:

Alana said...

How about something fab for the parents off e-Bay? Or a gift that is not a thing but is based around a service - a weekend somewhere or something like that.
Maybe an experience/service based gift would also work out for the nephew? Might be better than somethng that gets 10 minutes of attention before being relegated to the back of the bulging toy cupboard.

Alana

Anonymous said...

What about a second hand (educational) computer game from a game shop? I think EB Games shops sell them.

Unknown said...

I think as Alana mentioned a service would be a great idea for your parents. A dinner or a cruise are examples.

The best thing I can suggest though, is giving them something you have made. It might seem a bit corny, but you really have to express who you are. You could get something from your local second-hand store and value-add by dressing it up in a style suited to your parents and penning-in or engraving their names. If your nephew is spoilt then forget about getting him things that will spoil him even more. If you have the time you could take him for a nature hike, rock climbing or hire a tandem bicycle or something exciting and un-computer related.